RSS

Everything changes, nothing stays the same

10 Mag

Creative Commons ~ some rights reserved

8 commenti

Pubblicato da su 10/05/2017 in funny pictures, Humour inglese

Tag: ,

8 risposte a “Everything changes, nothing stays the same

1. Giuseppe

11/05/2017 at 00:29

I don’t understand the sense of this humorous sticker. What has had the squirrel?

• Tony

11/05/2017 at 06:28

Acorns.

N.B. “What did the squirrel have?”

• Giuseppe

13/05/2017 at 00:45

Thanks Tony for your correction, nevertheless, the meaning of the sticker ( and the verb tense) is still obscure for me. Notwithstanding, I keep loving English humour.

• Tony

13/05/2017 at 08:02

Squirrels like to gather acorns to eat during the winter and they sometimes bury them in the ground to keep them safe. If you bury an acorn in the ground and leave it for long enough, there is always a chance that it will germinate and turn into a baby oak tree!

• Giuseppe

14/05/2017 at 00:42

Tony, you are kindly enlightened me. Everything is clear now, but I suppose that discovering the sense of the scene is really challenging. It would have been easier to catch the meaning if last verb were “to do” instead of “to have”.

• Tony

14/05/2017 at 07:45

I think you have to imagine a child who has gone to his/her mother saying, “Mummy, mummy, I’ve lost my acorn!” The mother tries to help by saying, “Do you remember where you were when you last had it?” And the child takes his/her mother to the spot but of course the acorn isn’t there and so the mother says, “And you’re sure this was the last place you had it?”

You couldn’t actually use “do” as the last verb because you can’t “do” an acorn.

N.B. “You HAVE kindly enlightened me.”

N.B. I would use “get the meaning” rather than “catch the meaning”.
              “Catch” is more typical in a sentence like, “Sorry, I didn’t quite catch what you said.”

• Giuseppe

15/05/2017 at 00:11

Thanks again Tony, I couldn’t be more grateful to you for your accurate corrections.

Partecipa anche tu!

Inserisci i tuoi dati qui sotto o clicca su un'icona per effettuare l'accesso:

Logo WordPress.com

Stai commentando usando il tuo account WordPress.com. Chiudi sessione / Modifica )

Foto Twitter

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Twitter. Chiudi sessione / Modifica )

Foto di Facebook

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Facebook. Chiudi sessione / Modifica )

Google+ photo

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Google+. Chiudi sessione / Modifica )

Connessione a %s...